A boob job, otherwise known as an augmentation mammoplasty, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves the insertion of breast implants to enhance the shape, size, and appearance of the breasts. For many women, this is a major life decision that can boost one’s self esteem, body image, and sexual satisfaction. However, not everyone’s experience will be the same, and some women may feel let down if reality doesn’t meet their expectations. In some cases, plastic surgeons will urge against getting a breast enhancement if certain factors are present. In this article, we will explore what makes a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery.
Qualifications that make a good candidate
- Overall, you should be in good physical health prior to undergoing a breast augmentation. This means you have no active illnesses, such as an infection or cancer. If you have an underlying health condition, you will need to discuss it with your surgeon.
- Women get breast implants to improve the look and shape of their breasts. If your breasts are saggy, asymmetrical, or out of proportion to the rest of your body, then you would be a good candidate for this procedure.
- If you are a smoker or heavy drinker, you will want to quit for at least four to six weeks before your surgery to reduce complications and accelerate the recovery process. People who smoke are at greater risk for infection, blood clots, and pain during and after surgery. If you can remain smoke free even after the procedure, you will attain better post-operative results.
- Be sure of your decision to get breast implants. This surgery is life-altering and can change the way you view yourself for the rest of your life. Before going into the operating room, make sure you understand all the reasons for why you want to get this procedure. Write up a list of the pros and cons of breast implants so you can see your reasons in a list.
- Understand the risks and the rewards. While breast augmentations are generally considered safe and the implants are FDA-approved, it’s still important to know that there are some risks, similar to any other surgery. For instance, it’s possible for changes in sensation in the nipple area to occur. Some women report increased sensitivity while others report decreased sensitivity, so it varies by case.
- Get this procedure because you want to—not because somebody else wants you to. Make sure that this is something that will make you happier and more confident. Too many people get cosmetic work done because they feel pressured by their friends, family, or lovers.
- Have realistic expectations. While breast implants will change the way you look, they cannot fix any underlying issues you have about your overall appearance. Your breasts are only one part of your body; everything else will remain the same after the surgery. Listen and communicate to your surgeon so you are both on the same page about your expectations and goals.
- Make enough time for recovery. A breast augmentation is a major surgery, so make sure you take care of yourself post-op and spend plenty of time resting. Avoid lifting heavy objects or engaging in intense exercise as these can cause complications.
- Know what kind of implants you want. The FDA requires that you be at least 18 years old for saline implants and at least 22 years old for silicone implants. Discuss with your surgeon the pros and cons of each.
Biodermis is an innovative market leader with 30 years of expertise in the medical silicone industry. Visit Biodermis.com today to explore a complete range of scar management and post-operative care solutions.
PHYSICIANS AND MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS: REFER OR RESELL?
Biodermis offers custom tailored referral programs designed to simplify and reduce the cost of your patients' post-op care. Additionally, we offer professional pricing if you opt to retail our products. Give us a call at 800.322.3729, and we will be happy to provide additional details on these programs.